The Mary McLaughlin Craig papers span 8 linear feet and date from circa 1925 to 1946. The collection includes correspondence,
specification reports organized by project, architectural drawings and reprographic copies, handwritten notes regarding the
building process of Craig’s many projects, and a series of photographs of a topographical map of Santa Barbara County. The
majority of architectural drawings and reprographic copies are of Mary Craig’s residential designs.
Mary McLaughlin Craig was born in Deadwood, South Dakota in 1889. In 1911, following the death of her father, Mary moved with
her mother to Pasadena, California. Six years later in 1917 Mary met James Osborne Craig and the two married in 1919. Mary
assisted her husband with his architectural projects, despite her lack of formal training. When her husband James died suddenly,
she took on his practice, finishing the Plaza de la Guerra restoration project as well as the Campbell Mansion in Goleta.
The majority of Mary Craig’s work after her husband’s death in Santa Barbara comprised residential buildings in the Santa
Barbara region. Mary McLaughlin Craig died at the age of 74, in 1964.