The collection contains materials related to the Tyler Ecology Award, including award banquet programs, newspaper clippings,
financial records, photographs, and an oversized scrapbook for the award years 1973 through 1979. Also included are photos
of John and Alice Tyler (the award's founders) and a memorial speech for John Tyler given by M. Norvel Young. Materials range
in date from 1971 to 1981.
The Tyler Ecology Award is an annual international award presented to honor scientists who advance the field of environmental
science. The award was created by John and Alice Tyler in 1972, but was first given in 1973, soon after John Tyler's death.
John Tyler founded the Farmers Insurance Group in 1928, and he and his wife were involved in many charitable organizations,
with their interests including medical research, music and the arts, children's health, and animal welfare. Additionally,
the Tylers donated money to Pepperdine University to build the Tyler Campus Center. The prize was administered by Pepperdine
University for approximately 10 years, when it was moved to the University of Southern California. The name changed twice
over the years, from the Tyler Ecology Award, to the Tyler Ecology–Energy Prize in 1981, and finally to the Tyler Prize for
Environmental Achievement in 1983 to reflect a broader scope of the sciences.
2.38 linear feet
(1 box, 1 oversized scrapbook)
Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.