Program for dinner held "in honor of Dr. and Mrs. J. E. Wallace Sterling to mark his approaching retirement as Fifth President
of Stanford University, 18 April 1968, San Francisco, California."
J.E. Wallace Sterling, president of Stanford University from 1949-1968, earned his A.B. in history at the University of Toronto
in 1927; he taught at the University of Alberta while pursuing graduate work there from 1928-1930. He came to Stanford in
1930 to pursue his doctorate, which he received in 1938. While at Stanford, he was also a research assistant in the Hoover
Library and taught in the History Department. From 1938 to 1948 Sterling taught at the California Institute of Technology,
where he was elected chairman of the faculty in 1944. He had been Director of the Huntington Library and Art Gallery for five
months when he accepted the presidency of Stanford University. During Sterling's 19 years as president, Stanford's endowment
nearly doubled, the faculty increased by 170 percent, graduate programs were improved, major building plans were completed,
the Medical School was moved to campus from San Francisco, and the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center was built. After his
retirement in 1968, Sterling was named University Chancellor. He died on July 1, 1985.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the
Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94305-6064. Consent
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.