This collection was created by members of the San Joaquin General Hospital Nurses Alumni Association. It consists of materials
donated by various alumni members that date from 1900 to 2010, with the bulk from 1941 to 1959. The collection provides a
picture into the day-to-day training of nurses in a hospital-based program, as well as their comaraderie and the pride and
dedication they held for their profession. In addition, it documents the evolution of the program from one based in a hospital
to the campus of a community college.
The original San Joaquin General Hospital was built in Stockton in the early 1860s to serve the indigent sick. After fire
destroyed it around 1866, bonds were sold to acquire four hundred acres of land in French Camp for a new hospital, construction
for which was completed in 1895. The new hospital contained nine wards, with sleeping quarters for nurses. At the turn of
the twentieth century, however, the only source for training nurses in San Joaquin County was Saint Joseph's Hospital School
of Nursing, in Stockton. In 1906, the San Joaquin General Hospital organized a three-year nurses' training program under the
direction of hospital superintendent Dr. J. D. Dameron. To begin, all of the training occurred on the premises of the San
Joaquin General Hospital. Starting in 1942, however, students in the program took academic classes at Stockton Junior College,
with clinical training at the San Joaquin General Hospital and other facilities in Stockton and the San Francisco Bay Area.
In 1964, the nursing school formally changed from a hospital-based program to one headquartered at the community college.