The organization was formed in 1883 to collect and preserve manuscripts, periodicals, newspapers, and both written and oral
historical accounts regarding the history of the Pacific Coast in general and of Southern California in particular. Another
purpose of the organization, as reflected in this collection, was to maintain a photographic record of the changing views
of the city and surrounding landscapes and persons prominently associated with the regional history.