The Little Landers Colony near San Ysidro was founded by William E. Smythe on August 1, 1908. Smythe worked primarily in the
newspaper business, but he was also an expert on irrigation. His early work included chairman of the National Irrigation Congress,
founding the collective farming town of New Plymouth, Idaho in 1895, and providing consultation services for communities near
Sacramento and in Lassen County, California. He relocated to San Diego around 1902 and wrote two books, one of which is the
"History of San Diego."