The complete business records of the Galleria dell'Ariete of Milan, Italy, from 1955, when it opened, through its closing
in the mid-1980s. It was among the most important galleries in Italy for contemporary art, and had extensive connections with
dealers, collectors, artists, and critics in Europe, the United States, and Japan. The archive documents these connections
through correspondence, business and financial papers, catalogs, press clippings, and an extensive photographic record.
Beatrice Monti della Corte opened the Galleria dell'Ariete at Via San Andrea, 5, Milan, Italy in 1955, when she was twenty-five
years old, principally as a showplace for modern art-her first major exhibition at the gallery was of lithographs and engravings
by Picasso-though the formal statutes of the company state that its object is 'il commercio in generale di opere d'arte antiche
e moderne'. Thus Monti della Corte regularly exhibited and dealt in such items as 17th to 19th century Indian miniature paintings,
Afghan kilims and dhurries, 19th century American patchwork quilts, and 18th and 19th century Italian folk paintings on glass.
A 1958 exhibition,
Tauromachia, brought together engravings of bullfighting subjects by Goya and Picasso.
46.43 linear feet
(88 boxes; 2 flatfile folders)
Library Reproductions and Permissions.
Open for use by qualified researchers.