Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid to the San Francisco Unified School District Records 1854-2005 (bulk 1874-1978)
SFH 3  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (1.42 Mb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection documents the San Francisco Unified School District's history through materials collected by the Teachers Professional Library beginning in 1854, the fourth year of the Department of Common Schools, as it was then known. While there are materials from the early years of the district, the bulk of the collection is from 1874 to 1978. Major areas include administrative documents, curriculum titles, reports produced by the school district, and newspaper clippings. Materials include administrative circulars, photographs, scrapbooks, books, pamphlets, newsletters, district directories, handbooks, budget documents, salary surveys and schedules, maps, and newspaper articles.
Background
The first American school in the state was a private institution, established in San Francisco in April, 1847. Later the same year, the first public schoolhouse was built in 1847 on the southwest corner of the town plaza, now Portsmouth Square. On Feb. 21, 1848, the first school board was elected, and the school opened on April 3, 1848, led by Thomas Douglas. The Douglas school charged tuition but was under public auspices with partial public support. Word of gold soon drew citizens away from San Francisco, and the school was closed; the building was demolished in 1850. In late 1849, Mr. and Mrs. John C. Pelton opened a school in the First Baptist Church. By a resolution adopted by the Common Council, the Peltons' school became a free public school in April, 1850. Meanwhile, the Happy Valley School opened in July, 1850, near the corner of Second and Minna streets. Happy Valley was a private enterprise but free to those who couldn't afford it. The following spring, the Spring Valley School opened, also private but free to those who couldn't pay.
Extent
143 boxes, 2 file cabinet drawers, 88 scrapbooks (118.2 cubic feet)
Restrictions
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist.
Availability
The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.