The Alfred Eichler papers span 19 linear feet and date from circa 1914 to circa 1963. The collection primarily consists of
scrapbooks filled with black-and-white photographs and newspapers clippings regarding Eichler’s public works projects, but
also includes negatives, correspondence, architectural journals such as
The Architectural Review and
Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, spiral bound notebooks and three-ring binders containing planning data and architectural standards, and small sketch books
filled with watercolor paintings and pencil sketches. This collection also is composed of architectural drawings and reprographic
copies for the Whittier State School, the Glacier National Park Fish Hatchery, the Bureau of Fisheries House and Water Tanks,
and unidentified projects that resemble University buildings.
Alfred W. Eichler was born in Missouri on September 7, 1895, although he spent most of his childhood in San Francisco. He
studied at the Ecole des Beaux Arts Institute of Design in Paris, France. Out of school in 1924, Eichler partnered with architect
Everett Radcliff Harman to form Harman and Eichler, Architects in Los Angeles, California. A year later, in 1925, Eichler
began to work for the California Department of Public Works in the Division of Architecture. By 1949, he was promoted to a
supervising architect. He retired in 1963. Alfred W. Eichler died on November 27, 1977, at the age of 82.