The Ladies' Relief Society's records document the Society's philanthropic work for needy women and children in Oakland, California
from 1872 to 2007. The records include meeting minutes of the Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and Advisory Board;
administrative files containing by-laws, articles of incorporation, annual reports; Board records contain lists of members,
committee members, and orphans as well as half-orphans; financial records and donations from outside sources; and files of
various projects of the Society, such as fundraisers, festivals, and daily activities of its members, along with files of
The Ladies' Relief Society of Oakland, California was legally incorporated in 1872 to provide relief to thousands of women
and children who were homeless and destitute. To spread awareness of the Society and its needs, the women organized annual
festivals to raise funds and attract donors. By 1881, the Society had cared for 417 beneficiaries. It later implemented a
Home for Aged Women, a Children's Home, and a Nursery. In 1956, it was renamed the Matilda E. Brown Ladies' Home Society.
The Matilda E. Brown Home was closed in 2007.
Number of containers: 6 cartons, 2 oversize folders, 1 box, 2 oversize boxes
Linear feet: 8
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head
of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-6000. Consent is given on behalf of The
Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright
owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. See: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/reference/permissions.html.
Collection is open for research.