Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid to the Ladies' Relief Society records, 1872-2007
BANC MSS 2010/247  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (69.48 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Collection Summary
  • Information for Researchers
  • Administrative Information
  • Biographical Information
  • Scope and Content of Collection

  • Collection Summary

    Collection Title: Ladies' Relief Society records
    Date (inclusive): 1872-2007
    Collection Number: BANC MSS 2010/247
    Creators : Ladies' Relief Society (Oakland, Calif.)
    Extent: Number of containers: 6 cartons, 2 oversize folders, 1 box, 2 oversize boxes Linear feet: 8
    Repository: The Bancroft Library
    University of California, Berkeley
    Berkeley, California, 94720-6000
    Phone: (510) 642-6481
    Fax: (510) 642-7589
    Email: bancref@library.berkeley.edu
    URL: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/
    Abstract: The Ladies' Relief Society's records document the Society's philanthropic work for needy women and children in Oakland, California from 1872 to 2007. The records include meeting minutes of the Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and Advisory Board; administrative files containing by-laws, articles of incorporation, annual reports; Board records contain lists of members, committee members, and orphans as well as half-orphans; financial records and donations from outside sources; and files of various projects of the Society, such as fundraisers, festivals, and daily activities of its members, along with files of affiliated groups.
    Languages Represented: Collection materials are in English
    Physical Location: Many of the Bancroft Library collections are stored offsite and advance notice may be required for use. For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

    Information for Researchers

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-6000. Consent is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. See: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/reference/permissions.html. 
    Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Ladies' Relief Society records, BANC MSS 2010/247, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

    Alternate Forms Available

    There are no alternate forms of this collection.

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
    Charities--California--Oakland
    Older women--Care--California--Oakland
    Nursing homes--California--Oakland
    Ladies' Relief Society (Oakland, Calif.)--Archives

    Administrative Information

    Acquisition Information

    The Ladies' Relief Society records were given to The Bancroft Library by Lynne Costain in 2010.

    Accruals

    No additions are expected.

    System of Arrangement

    Arranged to the container level.

    Processing Information

    Processed by Jamie Nguyen in 2011.

    Biographical Information

    The Ladies' Relief Society of Oakland, California was legally incorporated in 1872 to provide relief to thousands of women and children who were homeless and destitute. To spread awareness of the Society and its needs, the women organized annual festivals to raise funds and attract donors. By 1881, the Society had cared for 417 beneficiaries. It later implemented a Home for Aged Women, a Children's Home, and a Nursery. In 1956, it was renamed the Matilda E. Brown Ladies' Home Society. The Matilda E. Brown Home was closed in 2007.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    The bulk of the collection consists of series of meeting minutes of the Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and Advisory Board. There are also administrative files containing by-laws, articles of incorporation, and annual reports; Board records containing member lists, committee members, and lists of orphans/half-orphans; as well as financial records and donations from outside sources. In addition, the collection also includes files of various projects of the Society, such as fundraisers, festivals, and daily activities of its members, along with files of affiliated groups and other related organizations and subjects. This collection consists of documents, photos and records from the beginning of the organization up until its decline.