Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Alpine Library Association Records MS 235
MS 235  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (56.80 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection contains records of the Alpine Library Association, which established and operated the Alpine Public Library in the first half of the 1900s.
Background
The Alpine Library Association was founded in October 1900. According to its Constitution, the purpose of the organization was to “[establish] a free public library and reading room in Alpine.” For most of its life, the Association and the Alpine Public Library were housed in the Women’s Club in Alpine, where members met on a quarterly basis. To raise funds for the library and its collections, the Association put on events and solicited memberships, monetary and book donations. Prominent members included Beatrice La Force, who served as Secretary and Librarian, Commander Rudolph Oeser, who served as Treasurer, and Lawrence Wilber, who served as President in the 1940s and 1950s. The Association dissolved in 1957 when the Alpine Public Library was incorporated with the San Diego County Library.
Extent
0.5 Linear feet (1 box)
Restrictions
The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.
Availability
This collection is open for research.