While the bulk of the Bullfrog Bank and Trust Co. collection dates range from 1909 - 1913, there are documents from as early
as 1905, when the bank first opened its doors. The majority of the documents are not from the bank's functioning years, but
after the closing. While there are loan documents, mortgage contracts, and deposit slips, to name a few, most of this collection
is made up of correspondence, which is included in Series 1. The correspondence is between, and pertaining to, bank administrators,
attorneys for the bank and clients, the State Bank Examiner, and the bank's former clients. Series 2 holds documents pertaining
to overall holdings at the Bullfrog Bank and Trust. Series 3 includes financial documents from the John S. Cook and Co. Bank,
and Series 4 consists of financial documents pertaining to other banking institutions. For more detailed information, see
the series descriptions. In total, these documents give an overview of the success, decline, and settlement of affairs of
the Bullfrog Bank and Trust Co., as well as the inter-workings of the Bullfrog Mining District's local banking system.
The Bullfrog Bank and Trust Co. was incorporated in 1905, in the boom and bust mining town of Rhyolite, Nevada, located in
the heart of the Bullfrog Mining District. Although there were other towns established nearby, including Beatty and Goldfield,
Rhyolite became the main area for financial growth. Rhyolite's population peaked at 10,000 in 1907, with electricity and railroads
connecting the town to Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Las Vegas, enabling the banking systems to connect across state lines.
The Bullfrog Bank and Trust Co. took this opportunity to serve the financial needs of the growing number of residents, becoming
one of the two main banks in Rhyolite, the other being the John S. Cook and Co. Bank. The Bullfrog Bank did have a second
branch in Beatty, Nevada; however, the Rhyolite location grew more quickly and had a larger financial holding.
Number of containers: 2 boxes
Linear feet: .6
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head
of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-6000. Consent is given on behalf of The
Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright
owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. See: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/reference/permissions.html.
Collection is open for research.