Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Collection of Clippings on Development of Irvine, California and Orange County Local Agency Formation Commission MS.R.163
MS.R.163  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.63 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection consists of newspaper clippings regarding the development and incorporation of the city of Irvine, California and actions of the Orange County Local Agency Formation Commission, from 1969 to 1972.
Background
The Orange County Local Agency Formation Commission, or OC LAFCO, is a government agency that makes decisions regarding boundaries for cities, unincorporated territory and special districts within Orange County, California. During the 1950s and early 1960s, some Orange County cities began to annex territory to their boundaries to serve newly developing areas. To address these issues not only in Orange County, but throughout California, Local Agency Formation Commissions were established by the State Legislature in 1963 in each California county. Meanwhile, in 1959, the Irvine Company sold 1,000 acres to the University of California for a new campus in south Orange County. Irvine's growth as a residential and employment area was spurred by the decision to build this local university. Construction of UC Irvine began in 1965. In 1970, the Irvine Company announced an ambitious plan to turn 43 square miles of surrounding undeveloped land into a master-planned community. Threatened with possible annexations by other cities, the residents of the first developments, or villages, voted to incorporate as the city of Irvine on December 28, 1971.
Extent
0.6 Linear feet (2 boxes)
Restrictions
Property rights reside with the University of California. For permissions to reproduce or to publish, please contact the Head of Special Collections and Archives.
Availability
The collection is open for research.