The Associated Women for Pepperdine (AWP) was started in 1958 by Helen Young and a group of women united in their belief of
the importance of Christian education. AWP members conduct fundraising events such as dinners, auctions, and bake sales each
year in order to provide students with scholarships to attend Pepperdine University. The group has grown to include thousands
of members and has contributed over $4 million to the University. The collection spans from 1958 to 2011 and includes administrative
files, scrapbooks, and photo albums.
In the spring of 1958, Helen Young gathered together a group of women including Gloria Sanders, Helen Pepperdine, Thelma Allen,
Margaret Davidson, Elizabeth Randolph, and Betty Shipp to form a steering committee that would lay the foundation for a women's
group at Pepperdine College. Helen had been encouraged to do so by her mother, Irene Young Mattox, and her husband, M. Norvel
Young, then president of Pepperdine. That spring, the steering committee spent many hours planning for what would become the
Associated Women for Pepperdine (AWP).
33.25 linear feet
Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.