Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
CENTRAL CALIFORNIA TRACTION COMPANY COLLECTION
MS 115  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.62 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Financial records of the Central California Traction Company.
Background
Chartered August 7, 1905; 55.68 miles between Stockton and Sacramento. The line was opened to Lodi on September 2, 1907, and to Sacramento on September 1, 1910. On January 1, 1928, it was acquired jointly by the Southern Pacific Company, Santa Fe and Western Pacific on condition that it sell its street car lines in Stockton to the Stockton Electric Railroad Company, a then wholly-owned Southern Pacific Company subsidiary which had been operating the street car lines for a number of years under lease. The first locomotive officially built at the Central Pacific shops in Sacramento, CP 2-55, later SP 1272 and 1516, was sold to CCT on May 4, 1910, and presumably disposed of when the line was electrified all the way through to Sacramento. Electrification ceased in 1946. [Guy Dunscomb, A CENTURY OF SOUTHERN PACIFIC STEAM LOCOMOTIVES, 1862-1962 (Modesto, California: 1967), p. 368]
Extent
2 boxes + 2 half-boxes
Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Availability
Collection is open for research.