This collection of newspapers from the Jewish Community Center documents some of their activities over a period of almost
30 years. The contents of the collection consist of bulletins and newspapers from the East County (54th St.) and Lawrence
Family Jewish Community Centers from 1959-1986 published under various names: Center Scribe, CENTER PIECE , CENTERFOLD.
The Jewish Community Center Movement, advocated by Rabbi Mordecai Kaplan in his book "Judaism as a Civilization," was the
basis for the founding of centers all over the country, as non-religious communal centers for Jewish cultural, sport, and
social activities. The Jewish Community Centers of San Diego started as a store front in North Park in the late 1940's or
early 1950's and moved to 54th St (East County) in 1957. In the mid 1980's the Lawrence Family JCC was opened in University
The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with
the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections
is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Requests for permission to publish must be
submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available
for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including
but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
This collection is open for research.