This collection consists of records concerning the development and business of the South Riverside Land and Water Company.
In 1886, developer Robert Taylor persuaded his partners, Adolph Rimpau, George L. Joy, A. S. Garretson, a Sioux City banker,
and ex-governor of Iowa, Samuel Merrill to form the South Riverside Land and Water Company. Together they raised approximately
$110,000 to purchase approximately 12,000 acres of good agricultural land. Taylor realized the importance of water for the
soon to be developed community, and additional funds were used to ensure that sufficient water rights were obtained. Taylor
hired Anaheim engineer H. C. Kellogg to design a circular Grand Boulevard three miles round. To the north along the railroad
tracks were the manufacturing plants and packing houses. The southern end of town was left to the citrus industry. Presently
this land is known as the City of Corona. As a citrus growers' organization, the company purchased the lands of Rancho La
Sierra of Bernardo Yorba, and the Rancho Temescal grant and the colony of South Riverside was laid out. They also secured
the water rights to Temescal Creek, its tributaries and Lee Lake. Dams and pipelines were built to carry the water to the
colony. In 1889 the Temescal Water Company was incorporated, to supply water for the new colony. This company purchased all
the water-bearing lands in the Temescal valley and began drilling artesian wells.
13,348 items in 36 boxes and 35 volumes
In order to quote from, publish, or reproduce any of the manuscripts or visual materials, researchers must obtain formal permission
from the office of the Library Director. In most instances, permission is given by the Huntington as owner of the physical
property rights only, and researchers must also obtain permission from the holder of the literary rights. In some instances,
the Huntington owns the literary rights, as well as the physical property rights. Researchers may contact the curator of this
collection for further information.
The collection is open for qualified researchers.