The Southern Pacific Railroad of Mexico was incorporated on June 24, 1909 as the successor to the Cananea, Yaqui River and
Pacific Railroad, as well as other concessions granted by the Mexican government to the Southern Pacific. It was originally
to run from Empalme in the State of Sonora to Guadalajara. Work began on this line, but was interrupted by the Mexican Revolution
of 1910-1920. In 1912 the Sonora Railway was consolidated with the company to form a line which extended north to the United
States / Mexico boundary at Nogales, Arizona.
•During the 1920s, work on the line south of Empalme progressed, and through trains between Nogales and Guadalajara began
running in April 1927. In 1951 the Southern Pacific Railroad of Mexico was sold to the Mexican government and the name changed
to the Ferrocarril del Pacifico.
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from
manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of
the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.