Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Mobilized Women of Berkeley Records, 1917-1969
BANC MSS 70/10 c  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (63.49 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Collection Summary
  • Information for Researchers
  • Administrative Information
  • Organizational Information
  • Scope and Content of Collection

  • Collection Summary

    Collection Title: Mobilized Women of Berkeley records
    Date (inclusive): 1917-1969
    Collection Number: BANC MSS 70/10 c
    Creators : Mobilized Women of Berkeley
    Extent: Number of containers: 1 carton, 1 box, 1 oversize box, 4 volumes Linear feet: 2.25
    Repository: The Bancroft Library
    Berkeley, California 94720-6000
    Abstract: The Mobilized Women of Berkeley records, 1917-1969, includes meeting minutes that serve as a record for the Executive Committee, the Board of Directors, general monthly meetings, bi-monthly luncheons, and annual meetings. They consist of attendance logs, address lists for members and officers, as well as attachments relating to agenda items such as bylaws, correspondence, reports, and income and disbursement records. There is also a cash journal with entries dating from 1918 to 1921. The collection includes publicity scrapbooks, spanning the years from 1917 to 1969. They document the organization's war work, community service activities, and social functions. They consist of newspaper releases, correspondence, photographs, event programs, articles, announcements, and miscellany.
    Languages Represented: Collection materials are in English.
    Physical Location: Many of the Bancroft Library collections are stored offsite and advance notice may be required for use. For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.

    Information for Researchers

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Mobilized Women of Berkeley Records, BANC MSS 70/10 c, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

    Alternate Forms Available

    There are no alternate forms of this collection.

    Related Collections

    Certificate of Recognition of the Mobilized Women of Berkeley Articles of Incorporation, dated April 29, 1924; BANC MSS 92/900 c.
    Photos from the Mobilized Women of Berkeley records, BANC PIC 1984.083-PIC.

    Separated Material

    Photographs have been transferred to the Pictorial Collections of The Bancroft Library (BANC PIC 1984.083-PIC).

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
    Charities--California--History-Sources.
    Women--California--Societies and clubs.
    Minutes.
    Account books.
    Scrapbooks.

    Administrative Information

    Acquisition Information

    The Mobilized Women of Berkeley Records were given to The Bancroft Library by Mrs. Joseph A. Pask on March 18, 1992.

    Accruals

    No additions are expected.

    Processing Information

    Processed by Janice Otani in 2005.

    Organizational Information

    During World War I, hundreds of Berkeley women met in May 1917 to "mobilize" for the war effort. They named their group the Mobilized Women's Organizations of Berkeley. The women formed their own army by inaugurating the block system where they divided neighborhoods into sections, each containing several blocks that were assigned to members for donation solicitations. They conducted many successful drives for food conservation, liberty bonds, and the Red Cross. Most significantly, they developed a program to reclaim waste. They gathered newspapers, magazines, clothing, furniture, and other salvaged materials that could be cleaned and repaired to be made useful again. The organization was able to remain self-sustaining through the sales of these items in their thrift stores and other fund raising activities.
    After the war, the organization renamed themselves the Mobilized Women of Berkeley (Moby). Their peace time program included the continuing reclamation of waste with proceeds used to promote citizenship and meeting the social and financial needs of the underpriviledged residents of Berkeley. The purpose of their "Americanization" work was to make better American citizens of the native born and to bring American ideals and citizenship to the foreign born. They served as a welfare organization cooperating with all agencies, primarily families needing assistance in West Berkeley. Some of the activities consisted of classes in English, sewing and millinery, as well as interpreting services.
    During World War II, the Mobilized Women of Berkeley coordinated with government agencies to conduct Red Cross shelter availability surveys, identification tag registration and distribution, food rationing program, and the sale of war bonds and stamps.
    In 1949, Moby established a community center at their headquarters on University Avenue that provided both adult and youth activities, including recreation and camping programs, literacy school, and family rehabilitation and relief work. Through the 1950s and 1960s, they continued with their welfare and community service work in West Berkeley. The women also hosted numerous fund raising activities such as luncheons, teas, and fashion shows to support their wide range of projects.
    In 1969, to commemorate their 50th anniversary, the Mobilized Women of Berkeley announced their retirement as an organization. They concluded that their type of service to the community was no longer needed because more government agencies were available to residents. At the same time, the Mobilzed Women of Berkeley decided to hand over the deed for their building to the East Bay Association for Retarded Children (EBARC) because they wanted to give their facilities to another welfare organization to carry on the old traditions in a new way. The disbanded organization formed an auxiliary to assist EBARC in the future. This action disolved the oldest women's service organization in the East Bay.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    The Mobilized Women of Berkeley records, 1917-1969, includes meeting minutes that serve as a record for the Executive Committee, the Board of Directors, general monthly meetings, bi-monthly luncheons, and annual meetings. They consist of attendance logs, address lists for members and officers, as well as attachments relating to agenda items such as bylaws, correspondence, reports, and income and disbursement records. There is also a cash journal with entries dating from 1918 to 1921. The collection includes publicity scrapbooks, spanning the years from 1917 to 1969. They document the organization's war work, community service activities, and social functions. They consist of newspaper releases, correspondence, photographs, event programs, articles, announcements, and miscellany.
    Photographs have been transferred to the Pictorial Collections of The Bancroft Library (BANC PIC 1984.083--PIC). A related document, the certificate of recognition of the Mobilized Women of Berkeley Articles of Incorporation, dated April 29, 1924, is located at The Bancroft Library (BANC MSS 92/900 c).