The Hamilton V. Bail Harvard collection consists of books, ephemera, and assorted printed material relating to the history
of Harvard College.
Harvard College was established in 1636 by vote of the Great and General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and was named
for its first benefactor, John Harvard of Charlestown. Harvard was a young minister who, upon his death in 1638, left his
library and half of his estate to the new institution. In its early years, the College offered a classic academic course based
on the English university model, but consistent with the prevailing Puritan philosophy of the first colonists. Although many
of its early graduates became ministers in Puritan congregations throughout New England, the College was never formally affiliated
with a specific religious denomination. The 1708 election of John Leverett, the first president who was not also a clergyman,
marked a turning of the College toward intellectual independence from Puritanism. As the College grew in the 18th and 19th
centuries, the curriculum was broadened, particularly in the sciences, and the College produced or attracted a long list of
famous scholars. The 19th century brought the development of several graduate schools, including the Law and Medical schools,
and transformed the College into a world class research university.
16 boxes (8.0 linear ft.)
1 oversize box
Property rights to the physical object belong to the UCLA Library,
Department of Special Collections. Literary rights, including copyright,
are retained by the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of
the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the
copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where The UC
Regents do not hold the copyright.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library, Department
of Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.