Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding aid of the Art Center Wives Club
RG 18  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (57.44 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Founded in 1956, the Art Center Wives Club was sponsored by Art Center to serve as a social and support group for the wives of the college’s male students. This collection consists of newsletters, minutes, correspondence, photographs, and other materials which document the planning activities, events and meetings of the Art Center Wives Club.
Background
Founded in 1956, the Art Center Wives Club was sponsored by Art Center to serve as a social and support group for the wives of the college's male students. With monthly meetings, the group had guest speakers, played bridge, and shared news of jobs and available apartments. After it had become well established, the Art Center Wives Club sponsored dances, picnics, and talent shows, and volunteered time to a variety of community organizations. The group tried to make new students' wives welcome and often had a part in student orientation. In the mid 1960s the club organized and printed a cookbook, as well as put on a skit parodying the trials of new students and their wives. The group printed another cookbook in 1974. For most of the organization's approximate twenty-year history, it printed a monthly newsletter, The Breadwinners Review. The group's liaison with the school was Mildred Heredeen. It is not clear when the club ceased to exist.
Extent
.5 linear foot 1 box
Restrictions
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in this collection must be submitted to Art Center College of Design Archives.
Availability
No restrictions. Collection is open for research by appointment.