Collection comprises two diaries and a receipt for a registered letter, kept by California labor leader Burnette G. Haskell.
Volume 1 (1878-1879) mostly concerns Haskell's failed courtship of Sophie McFarlane (1878-1879); volume 2 (1885) documents
his labor career, including the activities, organization, and membership of the International Workmen's Association (IWA)
and the Progressive Assembly of the Knights of Labor, both of which Haskell founded.
Born in 1857 in Sierra County, Burnette G. Haskell was a lawyer; radical editor, publisher, and journalist; founder of the
Kaweah Colony; and one of the most prominent union organizers of the 1880s on the Pacific Coast. A lawyer for the Republican
State Central Committee, Haskell first became active in the San Francisco labor movement in 1882 when labor leader Frank Roney
recruited his fledging newspaper
Truth as the official journal of the San Francisco Trades Assembly. During its brief career (1882-1884),
Truth published local, national, and international labor news, and printed a wide range of radical literature. In 1882, Haskell
founded the International Workmen's Association (IWA) in San Francisco; between 1882 and 1887, the IWA organized dozens of
unions, including the Coast Seamen's Union, throughout the Pacific Coast. In 1884, Haskell organized the Progressive Assembly
of the Knights of Labor, a mixed San Francisco assembly that held weekly educational meetings on progressive themes. Beginning
in 1886, Haskell turned his attention to the cooperative movement, establishing the Kaweah Colony in Tulare County with other
IWA members; the enterprise collapsed in 1890. After the 1888 publication of Edward Bellamy's
Looking Backward, Haskell became active in the Nationalist movement and later resumed his law practice, representing the Coast Seamen's Union.
He died in 1907.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Director
of the Library and Archives, North Baker Research Library, California Historical Society, 678 Mission Street, San Francisco,
CA 94105. Consent is given on behalf of the California Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended
to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. Restrictions
also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational