A small collection of materials from the Watson Land Company, including articles of incorporation, financial statements, correspondence,
newsletters, and reports.
The Watson Estate Company was incorporated in 1912 to help protect the interests of Dolores Simona Dominguez de Watson. While
the Watson Estate Company made a steady, albeit relatively small, income from leasing land, it broke with other Rancho-based
companies in regularly selling off small pieces of property. The company was reincorporated as the Watson Land Company in
1927, largely as a way to have lands assessed according to richer 1920s valuations, rather than the 1913 valuation that had
been used. Under reincorporation, land sales and leases gave the Watson Land Company a sounder financial foundation. As
with other Rancho-based concerns, the Watson Land Company realized profits from sales and leases to oil companies; throughout
its history, though, the directors of the Watson Land Company focused on the agricultural and industrial development of the
land. The success of this practice grew throughout the century, and the Watson Land Company remains one of the most successful
in Southern California. (From the Rancho San Pedro Collection Finding Aid)
.5 linear ft.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Archives
and Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical
materials and not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.