Collection pertains both to the School of Physical Sciences and
the later program in physical sciences. Included are correspondence, budgets, fiscal
records, and miscellaneous items, 1934-72; one file on courses, 1931-32; course
materials for the general program classes (survey of physical sciences and astronomy),
1952-73; and course materials for several physics classes, 1955-65. Collection also
includes a file on the campus observatory, 1960-64.
The School of Physical Sciences, instituted in 1926, consisted of the departments of
chemistry, geology, mathematics, and physics; in 1949 the School of Humanities and
Sciences was organized and retained a general program in physical sciences. The program
was administered by chemistry professor Claudio Alvarez-Tostado.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials
must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University
Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent is
given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not
intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission
must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See:
This collection is open for research.