The Albany Library Historical Photograph Collection includes images related to the history of Albany, from the late 1800s
to 2001. Notable aspects of the collection includes images of homes and buildings (including school buildings, the public
library, and the Peralta Park Hotel), street scenes, significant individuals, and historic events (such as the Judson Powder
Works explosion in 1905, the Fourth of July Parade in 1913, the City's 75th Anniversary celebration in 1983, and the opening
of the new Albany Library in 1994).
The Albany Historical Society was founded in 1977 by Catherine Webb, a local historian who had been documenting the history
of Albany for more than thirty years. In January 1994, to coincide with the opening of the new library building, she donated
the entire collection of the Historical Society to the Albany Library, where it is displayed in a special alcove designed
to house it. Since then, members of the community have donated additional materials to the library's collection.
601 online items
Unless otherwise noted, all photographs in the collection are the property of the Albany Library. Neither the original photographs
nor the digital images in the catalog may be reproduced, published, or used on the Internet without the expressed, written
permission of either the Albany Library or the copyright holder. The credit line, "Courtesy of the Albany Library Historical
Collection" should accompany any such use.
Collection open for research.