Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Clifton's Cafeteria collection of Circulars, 1931-1995
1827  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (62.08 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Clifton's Cafeteria was opened in downtown Los Angeles in 1931 by Clifford E. Clinton, who also opened several other branches of his restaurant in later years. Clinton was also active in local politics and an advocate for civil reform. His restaurant published circulars, beginning in 1931, containing inspirational thoughts, poetry, short prose pieces and a calendar of upcoming events for customers, first weekly and then monthly. It ceased publication in 1995.
Background
Clifton's Cafeteria was opened at its first location in Los Angeles in 1931 by Clifford E. Clinton (b. Aug. 1900; d. Nov. 1969), a member of the Clinton family of restauranteurs (now spanning many generations). Clinton moved the cafeteria to Broadway in 1935 and, though a few more satellite cafeterias were opened in later years, the Broadway location has remained in business ever since that time. Nearly from the outset, Clinton began distributing these sheets of inspirational thoughts, poetry, short prose pieces and a calendar of upcoming Los Angeles events for his customers. After a slightly irregular start, the circulars began to be issued weekly in 1932; that frequency was retained for nearly 40 years, changing to monthly only in May of 1971, just a few years after Clinton's death. The final issue came out in October, 1995, with a note from its editor, Esther York Burkholder: "Over the years it has been a privilege and a pleasure to share with you bits of wisdom and beauty and humor from the pens of many writers. ... Until, and if, we eventually resume publication, dear readers, you have our best wishes always". Throughout the run, the circulars were printed on just one sheet, usually folded in half (lengthwise) to make 4 pages. Up until 1967, the cafeteria's motto ("A tra-ful for a tri-ful") always appeared somewhere near the title; from 1967-1995 the motto changed ("Food for the soul is important too"), and began appearing regularly below the title.
Extent
7 boxes (3.5 lin. ft)
Restrictions
Property rights to the physical object belong to the UCLA Library Special Collections. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where The UC Regents do not hold the copyright.
Availability
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.