Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid to the Sequoia Club Records
SFH 58  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.53 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Chiefly minutes, membership and financial records, and a scrapbook; together with a small amount of ephemera, bulletins, and clippings documenting the Sequoia Club's activities from its founding in 1892.
Background
The Sequoia Club was one of the oldest social clubs in San Francisco, founded in 1892 by seven or eight wives of Bohemian Club members who wanted to meet together with their husbands to appreciate the arts. At that time, only artists and writers were allowed; later, a wider range of associates were permitted to join, opening the Club to men and women with interests and achievements in the creative arts, music, drama, and science. The Sequoia Club was governed by four officers and five directors. Notable officers and members of the Club included: Senator James D. Phelan, Gertrude Atherton, Mrs. Fremont Older, Evelyn Wells, Tommy Noonan, Ethel Cotton, Mrs. F. H. Colburn, and Arthur Chamberlin. Other prominent artists were A. C. Best, Ethel Wickes, Charles Henry Grant, Maynard Dixon, James Holden, Emerson Lewis, Percy Grey, and Lee Bates. The purpose of the Club was to promote cultural advancement, social activities, and friendship. Meetings were held each Thursday evening at the California Club Rooms, 1750 Clay Street. Activities included formal dances, lectures, motion pictures, drama and short plays, art and floral exhibits, annual picnics, golf tournaments, card parties, costume balls, and special dinners and dances.
Extent
1 carton, 2 flat boxes (3.0 cubic ft.)
Restrictions
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
Availability
The collection is open for research. Please call the San Francisco History Center for hours and information at 415-557-4567.