The San Bernardino County, California collection contains press clippings, correspondence, brochures, maps, and other material
pertaining to the history, culture, tourism, and local communities of the county. Material related to heritage sites, cultural
institutions, natural landmarks, residential life, and tourist attractions are included. The county of San Bernardino was
officially created on April 26, 1853 from parts of Los Angeles, San Diego and Mariposa Counties. The city of San Bernardino
was incorporated as the county seat in 1854.
Explorations of the San Bernardino area began in the 1770s and continued into the nineteenth century. In 1810, Franciscan
missionary Francisco Dumatz, of the San Gabriel Mission, named the San Bernardino valley in observance of the feast day of
Saint Bernardine of Siena. Later in the century, the county was used for gold and silver mining, as well as the agricultural
development of citrus fruit. The county of San Bernardino was officially created on April 26, 1853 from parts of Los Angeles,
San Diego and Mariposa Counties. The city of San Bernardino was incorporated as the county seat in 1854.
3.5 linear feet
(2 document boxes, 1 flat storage box)
Copyright has not been assigned to the University of California, Riverside Libraries, Special Collections & Archives. All
requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections
& Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Regents of the University of California as the owner of the
physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by
This collection is open for research.