Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Fisher Gallery records 0271
0271  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (315.14 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Fisher Gallery records document the functions and activities of the Fisher Gallery at the University of Southern California, consisting of the papers of Gallery Directors; records, publications, and media of exhibits; documents of loans; records pertaining to the USC Museum Studies Program; and papers from the Friends of Art/Council of Fine Arts.
Background
In 1939, the Fisher Gallery was established at the University of Southern California University Park campus as the first museum in Los Angeles dedicated to the collection and exhibition of fine arts. Mrs. Elizabeth Holmes Fisher contributed the funds to build the Gallery and donated her collection of European and American art to USC. In 1942, the Gallery was expanded with a new exhibit space, the Quinn wing. Winnifred Poingdestre was the first Director of the Fisher Gallery until retiring in 1957.
Extent
35.0 Linear feet 51 boxes and one oversize box
Restrictions
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of University Archives as the owner of the physical material, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Availability
Collection is stored off-site and advance notice is required for access.