This interview largely concerns Thomas D. Church's role in Stanford's architecture and planning; other subjects include Frederic
Law Olmsted at Stanford, major elements of campus architecture as it was in 1978, use of outside architects, and future development.
Harry L. Sanders was the first full-time director of planning at Stanford University. He joined the Planning Office in 1956,
was appointed director in 1960, and retired in 1976; during his tenure, Stanford experienced its greatest period of development
since its opening in 1891. Thomas D. Church, a prominent landscape architect in the San Francisco Bay Area, was the landscape
consultant for Stanford University and a member of its Architectural Advisory Council.