Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the San Diego Pueblo Lands Collection MS 267
MS 267  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (61.03 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection contains reproductions of documents related to the original land grant for the pueblo of San Diego in 1834; the Board of Land Commissioners’ confirmation of the grant in 1854; decree from 1869 confirming settled land claims; and the private land grant for Rancho San Jacinto Viejo to Jose Antonio Estudillo and his family.
Background
In the 1830s, following Mexico’s independence from Spain, Alta California became a department of the Mexican republic. Under the legacy of Spanish colonial law which Mexico continued to enforce, a pueblo could be formed by the election of certain municipal officials, including a mayor (alcalde), two councilmen (regidores), and a legal advisor/advocate (sindico). These municipal authorities then organized a civil government, or ayuntamiento, and were then entitled to a land grant from the Mexican public domain.
Extent
1.25 Linear feet (1 box)
Restrictions
The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.
Availability
This collection is open for research.