Professional and administrative correspondence; research and clinical abstract files, and research notebooks; films; biographical
material including an oral history interview; and other files.
Radiologist, cancer research pioneer and educator. Henry S. Kaplan, 1918-1985, began his teaching career at the Stanford University
School of Medicine in 1948. He served as professor and chair of the Dept. of Radiology (1948 to 1972) and was named D'Ambrogio
Professor of Radiology in 1975. He also served as director of the Cancer Biology Research Laboratory (1975 to 1985) and the
Biophysics Laboratory (1957 to 1962) at Stanford. Kaplan was best known for his work on leukemia and Hodgkins disease and
for his work with Edward Ginzton on the development of the medical linear accelerator for cancer treatment. Kaplan's honors
were international and numerous, among them the distinction of first radiologist elected to the National Academy of Science.
In 1984, the Stanford Board of Trustees created the Henry S. Kaplan Professorship in Cancer Biology in recognition of his
major contributions to the University and to society.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the
Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
This collection is open for research.