Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Scripps College Fine Arts Foundation Collection
D1944.1  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (111.46 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Scripps College Fine Arts Foundation Collection contains correspondence, financial material, newspaper clippings, publicity announcements, and materials documenting the Fine Arts Foundations' many philanthropic activities conducted to support fine arts at Scripps College. The foundations' philanthropic activities include the Cinema Series, the Exhibition and Speaker Program, and the Limited Edition Series. The collection covers the years 1921 to 1990 with the bulk of the material ranging from 1934 to 1957 and from 1970 to 1987.
Background
The Fine Arts Foundation of Scripps College was founded in 1935 by Dr. Ernest Jaqua, President of the college, Mrs. George Gerlinger of Portland, and Mrs. Virginia Judy Esterly, assistant to Dr. Jaqua. Following the arrival of Millard Sheets to the college, a tremendous expansion and interest in art occurred. However, at the time, there were only two academic rooms in Balch Hall dedicated to the art department. So, with its primary purpose to build a studio to house the work in Fine Arts at Scripps College, the Fine Arts Foundation was established.
Extent
9.0 cubic feet
Restrictions
All requests for permission to publish must be submitted in writing to Denison Library.
Availability
This collection is open for research with permission from Ella Strong Denison Library staff.