Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Inventory of the A.A. and A.M. Cantin Collection, 1933-1977
2006-3  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (65.28 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The A.A. and A.M. Cantin collection documents approximately fifty-six projects through textual records, drawings and photographs. The collection is arranged in two series: Office Records and Project Records. The office records include biographical information, notable projects, and letters of recommendation.
Background
Alexander (Aimwell) Cantin was born March 4, 1876, and died in 1964. He is possibly best known for designing a series of Pacific Telephone and Telegraph buildings in San Francisco and collaborated with the firm of Miller and Pflueger on the 26-story, Coast Division Building of the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company at 140 New Montgomery Street. He designed the first permanent buildings on the campus of the College of Marin, including the Science Building (1927), Harian Hall (1929), the gymnasium (1931) and the first unit of the Engineering building. (http://www.marin.cc.ca.us/lrc/photos/archive2.html). He is also known for the number of movie theatres he designed throughout the Bay Area beginning in the 1920s including the Orinda Theater and San Francisco's Coronet Theater (now demolished) designed with his son. He was issued his architectural license in 1901, and was a member of the AIA, with over 48 years of active practice. Of lifelong interest to him was the design of decorative columns. He was awarded patents for several of his column designs.
Extent
3 manuscript boxes, 2 flat file drawers
Restrictions
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the Curator.
Availability
Collection is open for research.