In 1903, Cecelia Phelan, wife of prominent Sacramento physician Gregory Phelan, sold her 142-acre ranch off J Street in East
Sacramento through Wright & Kimbrough. This collection is comprised of correspondence between Mrs. Phelan and her son, Louis
Phelan, and Wright & Kimbrough concerning the sale of the J Street property, which would later become Tract 24.
Dr. Gregory Phelan was a prominent physician in early Sacramento. He moved to the city in 1849, having graduated from Columbia
College and medical school at the University of New York. Phelan rose to prominence quickly and was involved in numerous community
organizations. He helped organize the first medical society in California and was selected as physician to the Cholera Hospital
in 1850. From 1861 to 1869, Phelan served as City and County Physician of the County Hospital of Sacramento. Dr. Phelan and
his wife Cecelia had nine children: Gregory, Cecelia, Angela, Agnes, Helena, Clara, Louis, Henry, and Joseph. In 1870, Phelan
left Sacramento for Europe, returning in 1876 to settle in San Francisco. He sold off much of his Sacramento property in 1889
and transferred ownership of the "Phelan tract" to his wife. The 142-acre tract was located off of J Street in what is now
East Sacramento. Dr. Phelan passed away in November 1902, and just prior to his death, Cecelia contacted Sacramento real estate
company Wright & Kimbrough regarding the sale of the property.
Use of the described materials may be subject to U.S. and international copyright laws. Permission for publication is given
on behalf of the Sacramento Public Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.