Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Isaac Harary Papers, 1950-1987
372  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (128.87 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Isaac Harary (1923- ) was born in New York City, New York. He was an assistant clinical professor of physiological chemistry (1955-1961), associate professor of physiological chemistry and nuclear medicine (1961-65) and professor of biological chemistry (1965-87) in the UCLA School of Medicine. He pioneered the use of cultured (in vitro) mammalian heart cells as a model system after demonstrating that they retain cardiac functions in the single, isolated cell. The collection consists of autobiographical and biographical material, teaching material, correspondence, contracts and grants, data files, laboratory notebooks, publications, manuscripts, awards, and a videotape.
Background
Harary was born on March 15, 1923 in New York City, New York; BA, Brooklyn College, 1945; Ph.D. in biochemistry, New York University, 1952; postdoctoral fellowship with the American Cancer Society (1952-55); assistant clinical professor of physiological chemistry (1955-1961); associate professor of physiological chemistry and nuclear medicine (1961-65); and professor of biological chemistry (1965-87), UCLA School of Medicine; pioneered the use of cultured (in vitro) mammalian heart cells as a model system, demonstrating that they retain cardiac functions in the single, isolated cell; his research included investigations of internal and external environmental conditions which predispose the heart cell to maintain its function, the control of myosin synthesis by metabolic and hormonal factors, the fusion of cultured skeletal cells, and the rate of calcium and cyclic AMP in cellular synthesis. Isaac Harary, a developmental biochemist, was born March 15, 1923 in New York, New York. He received a B.A. degree from Brooklyn College (1941-1945) and a doctorate in biochemistry from New York University (1948-1952), followed by a postdoctoral fellowship with the American Cancer Society (1952-1955). Harary was appointed to the faculty at UCLA in 1955 and spent the remainder of his career there, ascending through the ranks as Assistant Clinical Professor (Physiological Chemistry, 1955-1961), Associate Professor (Physiological Chemistry and Nuclear Medicine, 1961-1963; Biophysics and Nuclear Medicine, and Biological Chem-istry, 1963-1965), and Professor (Biological Chemistry, 1965-1987).
Extent
9 cartons (9 linear ft.)
Restrictions
Property rights to the physical object belong to the UCLA Library, Department of Special Collections. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where The UC Regents do not hold the copyright.
Availability
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Advance notice required for access.