The Alders collection consists chiefly of Edward Alders' Merced County game bird
commercial hunting records (1898-1901). These include lists of types of birds killed,
quantities killed, names of buyers and the hunter's expenses.
Edward Alders (1877-1928) was one of the sons of Charles Milton Alders, who owned the
Central Hotel in Framington from 1884 until his death (1908). Edward operated the Hotel
from the time of his mother's death until the established ceased business (1911-1919).
From an early age, Edward began a career as a market hunter, shooting ducks and geese
which he shipped to the San Francisco market. Most of his hunting for the first nine
years was done on Miller-Lux Ranch lands near Gustine, Merced County. He subsequently
hunted at the Stevenson Ranch near Hills Ferry on the Merced River. With savings obtained
from hunting, Edward Alders was able to buy land on the Bellota Road near Farmington
(1904) and there established one of the first vineyards in the region.
The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible
for satisfying any claimants of literary property.
Collection is open for research by appointment only.