Correspondence, legal and financial documents, printed material, creative works and ephemera (1850-1948) created and collected
by John Shackelford Taylor document the life of an early Sonoma County pioneer. Legal and financial documents form the largest
portion of the collection. Approximately one third of the collection consists of Taylor's creative works, printed materials
and various documents about pioneer life in the west and in Sonoma County. Correspondence between Taylor and other family
members relate to the genealogy of the Taylor family.
John Shackelford Taylor (1828-1927), an original California forty-niner, is
identified with the stock-raising and business development in Sonoma County. In 1853, he settled on 1,400 acres of land near
Santa Rosa. The land included White
Sulpher Springs, a favorite Northern California resort. He also owned a valuable lot on
Fourth Street in Santa Rosa where he erected one of the finest
and most substantial business sections of the city. It was known as the Taylor
The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible
for satisfying any claimants of literary property.
Collection is open for research by appointment.