Jump to Content
|2 of 3 pages|
Same fire on Drumm St.
Do not know - See Chief Wells
:96 Top Row, left to right: Chas. Olsen, Thos. McAllister, Sergt. of Police Grover Coats, Lieut. of Police J.J. Casey, Chas. Flanagan, Mr. Moriarty, Mr. Lazzari, not a Police Officer. Lower Row, left to right: Mr. Powell, not a Police Officer, Sergt. Emmet Moore, David Williams, Chas. Iredale. Nov. 29/22
:197 San Francisco Police Officers at Sacramento, Calif. June 1922 - Forty-nine celebration. Back Row, L. to R.: 1. 2. Jas. A. Neely, 3. Geo. A. Merchant, 4. Arthur J. Dolan, 5. Lieut. Jas. Boland, 6. Ed. W. Meredith, 7. Capt. B.J. Judge, 8. 9. Middle Row, L. To R.: 1. Mansfield G. Joy, 2. Frank H. McConnell, 3. Wm. J. O'Brien, 4. 5. Chas. Galivan, 6. Lieut. John F. Fitzhenry, 7. Joe Gorhan, 8. John W. Evatt, 9. Thos. J. Larkin, 10. Lieut. John H. Casey. On the ground, L. To R.: 1. Chief of Police D.J. O'Brien, 2. Capt. Henry Gleeson.
:26a Wong Fook one of the Big Eight of China Town in 1898 -- Left L-Right Mary Lee -- Wong Fook and Susie Wong. The Big Eight Chinese Gamblers of 1896. Chang Chung, Buck Guy, Jim Wong, Wong You, Wong Fook, Chin Chow, Chin Kim You, Quong Bing alias Chop Wollar. Wong Wo King who attended to all cases in court and was finally deported to China by the U.S. Gov. In 1895 there was [sic] in S.F. China Town about sixty thousand Chinese. Left - Right: Mary Lee, Wong Fook and Ossie Wong.
:46b A celebrity of 1849. The first Fire Engine ever used in San Francisco. It was built in 1820 and was the property at one time of Martin Van Buren, President of the United States, from whom it was secured by William Free, who brought it to San Francisco in 1849. It is now one of the historic relics in the home of the Exempt Firemen at 9 Brenham place.
:54b Yerba Buena (now San Francisco) in the Spring of 1837. This is the first known print taken on the site of which San Francisco now stands. Only one frame building was in existence then. At this time the Presidio and the Mission Delores [Dolores] had been erected 55 years by the Spanish discoverers under Portola, and the residents were practically all Mexican with barely a few "whites" as they were called. At that time California was known as Alta California, and was still under the sway of a Spanish Governor, the Capital seat being Monterey, then the most important settlement in Northern California. Some half dozen Boston trading vessels visited this out of the way harbour annually. Rarely was any coin exchanged in this trade. The few Spanish inhabitants, all of them living about the presidio or the mission, bartered their tallow hides and other native products for coffee, tea, sugar, blankets, beads, knives and Yankee gewgaws. (Lithograph copyrighted July 31, 1867, by J. J. Du Prat. From a photo of the original in the possession of Phil B. Bekeart.)
:57a Birds-eye View of the Peninsula of San Francisco in 1869 showing the water front and the fairway through the Golden Gate to the Pacific Ocean. From a lithograph by Snow & May. Reproduced by permission of the owner R. P. Schwerin, and now in the pioneer section, Museum, Golden Gate Park.
:59a The Historical Railroad Event that United the East and West on this Continent. "Driving the last Spike" connecting the rails of the Central Pacific Company and the Union Pacific Company at Promontory Point, 80 miles west of Ogden and 804 miles east of San Francisco, May 10, 1869.
:74a Surrender of Casey and Cora. James P. Casey who shot James King of William, and a gambler named Cora who had shot a Deputy Marshall named Richardson on Clay Street, near Leidesdorff, were taken by force by the Vigilance Committee on Sunday, May 18, 1856, from the County Jail on Broadway. Twenty-five hundred armed citizens and a reserve of twenty-five hundred more surrounded the jail and pointing a cannon at the door commanded Dave Scannel, then sheriff of San Francisco, to surrender the two prisoners, which he promptly did, Four days after, while the funeral of James King of William was taking place at Lone Mountain, Casy and Cora were hanged from the windows of the Vigilance Committees Headquarters on Sacramento Street. The engraving presented herewith is from a print published at that time. In San Francisco, 1856.
:162 West on Third from Wallace Ave., May 1923.
San Quentin Ball Grounds. July 4/23
San Quentin Ball Grounds. July 4/23
:38a Pres. W.G. Harding's Funeral, leaving the Palice [Palace] Hotel on Friday, Aug. 3/23 at 5:15 P.M. for the 3rd & Townsend Depot on its way to Washington, D.C. The arrow in center of Hotel is the Reception Room of the Pres. and the arrow on the side of Hotel points to the room in which he died.
:110 L. to R.: Dec. 1923 - A.F. Lemberger - Lieut. of Police Chas. Dullea - Jesse B. Cook, Police Commissioner - W.L. Hughson - Col. W.F. Culbertson - Capt. of Detectives D. Matheson - Elliott M. Epsteen, and Chief of Police D.J. O'Brien - Presenting Lieut. of Police Chas. Dullea with a star.
:93 May 4/24, Truck #1 - San Francisco Fire Dept. Taken in front of the Savings Union Office Mercantile Trust Co. of Calif. at #1-Grand Ave. L. to R.: On the seat, G. Forsell the Motorman, Capt. Geo. Brown, standing L. to R.: Batt. Chief Kearny, Pres. Fire Commission Frank Sykes, Paul Katchinski, Frank Crockett, Retired Engineer, Ass. Chief Thos. J. Murphy, Chas. McLaughlin, Jas. Heffenger, Thos. Brady, Walter Murphy and Tillerman Ed. Lamb. This truck was built by the Employees of the S.F. [San Francisco] Fire Dept. April 1924. The boy on the truck is Jack Burgoyne.
:94 May 4/24 - Truck #1 - S.F. [San Francisco] Fire Dept. Taken in front of the Savings Union Office Mercantile Trust Co. of Calif. at #1-Grant Ave. L. to R.: On seat, G. Forsell, Motorman, Capt. Geo. Brown. Standing L. to R.: Batt. Chief Kearny, Pres. Fire Commission Frank Sykes, Paul Katchinski, Frank Crockett, Retired Engineer, Ass. Chief Thos. J. Murphy. On the other side of the Truck is C. Valentine. Back to the other side, Chas. McLaughlin, Jas. Heffenger, Thos. Brady, Walter Murphy, and at the Tiller Ed. Lamb. This truck was built by the Employees of the S.F. [San Francisco] Fire Dept. April 1924. The boy on the truck is Jack Burgoyne.
:97 Boys' Week at San Francisco, Calif. April 28th to May 4th, 1924 Inc. L. to R.: Robt. M. Hall of the Rochainbeau School, John Golebrick of the Frankin School, Louis Pelzner of the Everett School, Richard Elkins of the Grant School and Lieut. Fields of the S.F. [San Francisco] Police Dept.
:20 What is left of old Tucker town built in 1873. The photo was taken from Webster and Washington Sts. looking N. E. Tucker town was a block of homes from Washington to Jackson and from Buchanan to Webster, and was built by a Mr. Tucker. Phot. Taken Sept. 1924 and now Dec. 1924 these homes have been torn down.
[San Francisco Police Department Basketball Team]
:41 Standing, L to R: Cordray, Jackson, S. Heinrichs, G. Belger, O'Leary, B. Goetschel, A. Schmidt, G. Wathea, Coughlin, J. Brouders, Lieut. C. Fields, J. Burns. Seated: R. Hunter, M. Daley, P. Maloney, J. Collins, Driscoll, P. Fisher, M. Halen, Front Row: J. McInerney, Coach, C. Dredal [sic]. S.F.P.D. [San Francisco Police Department] July 4/24.
:42 Standing L to R: Back Row: M. Daley, Phil Lindecker, Robt. Hunter, Jas. Collins, Chas Beck, Gus Belger, Chas. Iredale, Chas. Bronden, Second Row: Pete Malone, Ed Dathe, B. Grechel, Corpl. A. Schmidt, Peter Hendricks, B. Burns, Lieut. C. Fields, Seated: Corpl. Thos. McInerney (Captain), C. R. Kiernan (Coach), Thos. McLachlan. S.F.P.D. [San Francisco Police Department] July 4/24.
:44 San Francisco Fire Dept. 1908 Engine Crew No. 2. North side of Bush St. next to St. George Stables between Grant Ave., and Kearney [Kearny]. L to : R. Murray, Chas. Brennan, Matt Collins, C. Ofberbeck, Capt. M. O'Brien, J. Collions, Jack Mitchell, Chas. Shebal, Chorus Girl, Chief Mills, Jim Flater.
:47 Detective Sergeants San Francisco Police Dept. 1904 L to R: H. Brage, D. Maltheson, D. Gibson, J. Dinan, F. Bailey, Geo. Mulcahey, Chas. Taylor, Geo. McMahon, Ed Orren, R. Silvey, Ed. O'Day, Thos. Gibson, R. Whitaker, H. Reynolds, T. Ryan, Ed Byson, Capt. J. Burnet, R. Hogan, Gus Harper, and Tim Bainbridge. I did duty with them all, J. B. Cook.
:98a The old home of Miss Jennie M. A. Hurley on the North side of Pacific Ave. between Franklin and Gough Sts. Built in 1874. Miss Hurley was the oldest Principal in the S.F. [San Francisco] Schools. For years she was the Principal of the old Spring Valley on Presidio Road now Union St. between Franklin and Gough. Nov. 29/24.
:110 The following 20 photos are of the Annual Inspection and Review, San Francisco Police Dept. Polk St. side of the City Hall, Oct. 25/24. Front line on the Grand Stand L to R: Mayor Jas. Rolph Jr., Commissioners Theo. J. Roche, Jesse B. Cook, Dr. Theo. Schmitte [Thos. Shumate?] and A. F. Mahon. Next Judge A. T. Barnett, Supervisors Alfred Roncovieri, Jack Barry, Charles F. Scully, Wild Bill Scott on the side.
Grand Stand L to R : Mayor Jas. Rolph Jr., Commissioners Theo. J. Roche, Jesse B. Cook, Dr. Theo. Schmitte [Thos. Shumate?] and A. F. Mahon. Next Judge A. T. Barnett, Supervisors Alfred Roncovieri, Jack Barry, Charles F. Scully, Wild Bill Scott on the side.
:121 Wm. N. O'Connor alias Big Bill O'Connor alias Frank O'Riley wounded in a gun battle with a number of Detectives at a 6th St. apartment house on July 7th, 1924. The shooting was through a door to his apartment. The door was riddled with bullets and Big Bill was badly wounded. He was wanted for Bank Robbery and a number of holdups. One was the Gilman Jewelry Store on June 24/24, N. E. corner Post and Stockton Sts. At 9am he and three other men took $100,000 in jewelry. On this charge his plea was guilty and he was sent to San Quentin for one year to life.
:129b This building was moved from S. E. corner Sutter and Van Ness Ave. to the North side of Pacific Ave. between Webster and Fillmore Sts. It was the house of Geo. A. Newhall who was a Police Commissioner from 1900 to 1905. And used as a Public School from 1921 to 1924. Taken Nov. 29/24. Built about 1886.
:130a The oldest home on Broderick St. built about 1864 at the S. W. corner Broderick and Grove St. Taken Nov. 29/24. [Appended note reads:] From information received from neighbors in the near vicinity, I went to #708 Haight St., where I interviewed a Mrs. B. Soheu, who stated she was the daughter of a Mrs. Margarette Elizabeth Koch, who had this home built about the year 1864 and occupied it with her family, until the epidemic of Small Pox broke out, about the year 1869, at which time she moved her family out and never returned to same. About the year 1871, the property through a Real Estate Agent, unknown to Mrs. Margarette E. Koch, was rented to a Beautiful, blond woman, who conducted this home as a road house for about two years. Mrs. Margarette Elizabeth Koch, died about the year 1888, and the property was willed by her to her oldest son, Edward Koch, who left this property at the time of his death to his heirs. Mrs. Phillippena Soheu, further stated at the time her mother built this home, no white persons were living in that neighborhood, it being used by Chinese for truck gardening. The property at one time was owned by Nichols Olandt, President of the German Bank, California St. between Kearney [Kearny] and Montgomery Sts. The home is now being occupied by the Baraco family. Oliver P. Joseph. Police Officer #7.
:35 China Town Squad, San Francisco from July to Dec. 1905. Back Row, left to right: 1. T. O'Connell, Police Officer, 2. Fred. Krack, Police Officer, 3. H. Bolton, Police Officer, 4. Ed. Casey, Police Officer. 2nd Row, left to right: 1. Collins, now a Lieut. of Police, 2. Ed. Foley, Police Officer, 3. O. Burg, Police Officer, 4. R. Curtin, Police Officer, 5. T. Hanley, Police Officer. 3rd Row, left to right: 1., 2. T. Curtis, Police Officer, 3. T. Conley, Police Officer, 4. Cliff Fields, now a Lieut. of Police, 5. Dan Cronin, now a Lieut. of Police. 6. Front row, left to right: Sergt. Wm Ross, Corpl. Wm Ferguson. From Jesse B. Cook
:49 Mercantile Trust Co. of Calif.'s Office at the S.W. cor. Hyde & Pacific Sts., where on April 9/25 at 2 P.M. Felix Sloper, a paroled convict, while robbing this bank shot Police Officer Geo. W. Campbell who was trying to arrest him. The Officer was shot in the stomach and from which he died on April 11/25 at 10 A.M. Sloper is in the City Prison.
:55 This is the first criminal photo ever transmitted by the Teleghograph [sic]. This demostration [sic] was made by the Pacific Telegraph & Telephone Co. of San Francisco on April 3/25 in the presence of Chief of Police D.J. O'Brien, Capt. D. Matheson, Capt. W.J. Quinn, and District Manager T.F. Delury of the Pacific, Telegraph & Telephone Co.
:81 S.F. [San Francisco] Fire Dept., May 30/11 - Bottom Row, L. to R.: H. Holmes, Tom Devine, Ike Gummendiez, W. Miskel, Fred Sayers, Jas. Bridge. Middle Row: Eugene Reilly, Pat Gordon, Chas. Haggerty, Pat Kenney, Jas. Hannan, John Brophy, Tim Collins. Top Row: Jas. Nannery, Chas. Centelwer, Tim Sheehan, F. Bell, Joe Lanthier, & Denney Mulcahey.
:99b Felix Sloper @ Bud Randall @ Bud Sloper @ Harry Brock @ Bert Randolph. Age 27, Height: 5.7., Weight: 112, Eyes: Blue, Hair: Light, Chest. Comp. Sallow, Dec. 5th, 1914: Received at Ione from Santa Cruz, March 3rd, 1915, escaped from Ione Ref. Jan 28th, 1917: returned. April 16th, 1918: Arr. at Fresno, Chg.: Vag. - 10 Days. May 25th, 1918: Rec. at San Quentin from Fresno, Chg.: Burglary, 2nd Deg., 1 to 5 years. July 25th, 1919: Paroled - Sept. 25th, 1920, Disch. Jan 30th, 1922: Arr. at Stockton, Chg.: C.C. Weapon, released on Probation. July 28th, 1922: wanted at Stockton, Viol. Probation. Feb. 11th, 1924 - wanted for bank robbery of the Bank of Clovis, Fresno County. April 11th, 1925, arrested: Chg. Murder of Officer George Campbell who captured him while in the act of holding up the Mercantile Trust Bank at the corner of Pacific and Hyde St. In the fracas the Officer received a gunshot wound but held on to him till assistance arrived. Officer Campbell died the next day from the wound. He [Sloper] was hanged at San Quentin.
Side view, Bernal House