The Christian Colony Records consist principally of the Colony Church of Christ (Acampo, Calif.) records (1905-1940).
In 1904 a Stockton (Calif.) bank hired J.P. Dargitz to sell 1000 acres of land formerly belonging to State Senator Benjamin
F. Langford north of the Mokelumne River near Acampo. Dargitz advertised the land in a magazine published by the Christian
Church as available exclusively to members of that denomination. The land was subdivided into ten acre parcels that sold for
between $1200 and $1500 each. A sufficient number of settlers were attracted to the region within a year to warrant establishment
of the Colony Church of Christ.
Members of this church continued to farm the region for more than thirty-five years, until the church property was sold to
the Bruella School District (1940).
The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary
Collection is open for research by appointment only.