The State Reform School at Marysville, established in 1860 (Stats. 1860, ch. 234), opened as California's first state institution for the reform of juvenile offenders. The school operated for
eight years, transferring twenty-eight wards at its closing in 1868 to the San Francisco Industrial School. Established and
run as a city and county institution in 1858 (ch. 209), the Industrial School at San Francisco remained open until 1892.
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives