Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Grinnell Naturalists Society Records, 1940-1952
BANC MSS 68/27 c  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (65.48 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Collection Summary
  • Information for Researchers
  • Scope and Content

  • Collection Summary

    Collection Title: Grinnell Naturalists Society Records,
    Date (inclusive): 1940-1952
    Collection Number: BANC MSS 68/27 c
    Origination: Grinnell Naturalists Society
    Extent: Number of containers: 2 boxes and card file Linear feet: 1.25
    Repository: The Bancroft Library.
    Berkeley, California 94720-6000
    Physical Location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
    Abstract: Records of organization founded by students and staff members of the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, University of California, Berkeley, including correspondence, minutes of meetings, file of newsletter, accounts, responses to questionnaires, etc.
    Languages Represented: English

    Information for Researchers

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Grinnell Naturalists Society records, BANC MSS 68/27 c, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

    Material Cataloged Separately

    Photographs have been transferred to the Pictorial Collections of The Bancroft Library (BANC PIC 1968.015--PIC).

    Scope and Content

    The Society, founded in 1940 by students and staff members of the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology of the University of California, was devoted to the field of vertebrate zoology. Its members, for the most part, derived from the Berkeley nucleus, and little attempt was made to recruit elsewhere. The activities included a variety of field trips, annual picnics and the publication of an occasional newsletter. The society ceased to function during the war, revived briefly in 1951 and went out of existence in 1952.
    The papers, transferred from the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology on Sept. 5, 1967, and Aug. 30, 1976, contain correspondence, minutes of meetings, an almost complete file of the newsletter, some accounts, responses to questionnaires, etc.
    Photographs have been transferred to the Pictorial Collection of The Bancroft Library (BANC PIC 1968.015 --PIC).