Four boxes of volumes and documents, arranged as indicated in detailed inventory below. 39 maps in rolls, tied together.
The Azusa-Foothill Citrus Company was founded in 1902 by James Slauson and his two sisters Kate (Slauson) Vosburg and Louise
(Slauson) MacNeil, on property inherited from their father, Jonathan Sayre Slauson. The lands had once been a part of the
great Azusa Ranch, owned by Henry Dalton. Jonathan Sayre Slauson, New York banker, founder and manager of the Los Angeles
Savings Bank, purchased the Dalton ranches in 1880 and 1884, where he founded the town of Azusa and the Azusa Land and Water
Company. This collection is a small part of a much larger collection, of which the Azusa Pacific College has a major part
(approx. 4,000 items), consisting of manuscripts, legal and business papers, financial journals and ledgers, photographs and
maps dating back to 1874. Additional material is held by the Azusa Historical Society. Two printed maps of the town of Azusa
are in the Rare Book Department of this Library.
In order to quote from, publish, or reproduce any of the manuscripts or visual materials, researchers must obtain formal permission
from the office of the Library Director. In most instances, permission is given by the Huntington as owner of the physical
property rights only, and researchers must also obtain permission from the holder of the literary rights. In some instances,
the Huntington owns the literary rights, as well as the physical property rights. Researchers may contact the appropriate
curator for further information.
Collection is open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department. For more information
please go to following URL.