The Sun Sketches of San Mateo album contains 25 photographic prints taken by Carleton E. Watkins in 1875 featuring views of
early San Mateo County. Especially featured is the Baywood residence and estate of financier John Parrott, built in 1868 on
what was previously the Rancho de las Pulgas. Also pictured are the Fair Oaks and El Cerrito residences, owned by W.D.M. Howard
and Thomas H. Selby, respectively; St. Matthews Church; the first hotel of San Mateo; El Camino Real; Crystal Springs Road;
San Mateo Creek; Crystal Springs Valley; and a view of the town of San Mateo. Watkins' wagon, by which he traveled on many
of his photographic expeditions, is visible in some of the prints.
Carleton E. Watkins was born in Oneonta, Oswego county, New York, on November 11, 1829. He was the youngest of five children
of a Scottish innkeeper. During his youth he became acquainted with Collis P. Huntington, who frequented his father's hotel.
Soon after the discovery of gold, both young men went to California, where Huntington later became one of the Big Four who
built the Central Pacific Railroad.
25 albumen prints, 21 x 31 cm., mounted; bound in album, 51 x 46 cm.
25 digital objects
Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish photographs must be submitted
in writing to the Curator of Pictorial Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library
as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must
also be obtained by the reader.
Restricted originals. Use viewing prints only. Use of originals only by permission of the Curator of Pictorial Collections,
The Bancroft Library.