Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Hall Family Papers and Sugar Plantation Records
MSS 0220  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (137.22 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
Family papers and sugar plantation records (1709-1835) of the Hall family of England and Jamaica, including William Hall (b.1696), Thomas Hall (1725-1772), Hugh Kirkpatrick Hall (b.1748?), and Thomas Kirkpatrick Hall (b.1776). The Hall family owned and operated the sugar plantations of Irwin Estate, Tryall Estate, Johnshall Estate, Hallhead Estate, and Kirkpatrick Hall Estate. They also owned Worcester, Williamsfield, Stapleton Pen, and Kirkpatrick Pen. The family papers contain correspondence between family members, wills, certificates of military commission and genealogical memoranda. The collection contains numerous documents related to the administration of Jamaican Governor Charles Knowles (1752-1756) and the formation of the "Association" by leading planters and colonists. The accession processed in 1995 documents activities of Thomas K. Hall and Lorenzo Hall. Included are letters dating from 1819 to 1822 which offer considerable insight into the trade of paintings between Italy and England during the period, the cost of the commissions and methods of transport from Leghorn to England. Also included are letters dating from 1825 to 1842 written by Lorenzo Hall, a diplomat, to his uncle, Thomas K. Hall, from various European cities and countries. A microfilm (4 reels) of the entire collection was prepared in July 1999.
The Hall family engaged in sugar production on the island of Jamaica for over a century and participated in the rise of Jamaican planter society during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The early generations of Halls directly supervised their plantations, while the later descendants lived in England as absentee landlords, leaving the management of their estates to attorneys and overseers.
4.6 Linear feet (3 archive boxes, 163 oversize folders, and 4 rolls of microfilm)
Publication rights are held by the creator of the collection.
Researchers must use the microfilm of the collection located in Box Four.