The Graduate School of Education an Information Studies traces its beginning to the
legislative act of 3 March 1881 which authorized the opening of a
branch of the San Jose State Normal School in Los Angeles. Teacher
training was the primary responsibility of the "southern branch"
and in 1894, the Department of Education was established. In 1917,
three years after the Los Angeles State Normal School was moved to
its Vermont Avenue site, Ernest Carroll Moore was appointed
director of the school and chairman of the Education Department. In
1919, when the Los Angeles State Normal School was incorporated
into the University of California system, Moore was appointed
director of the Los Angeles campus and Dean of the Teachers
College, holding the latter position until 1936 when the deanship
passed to Marvin L. Darsie. The Teachers College was replaced by
the School of Education in 1939, which was eventually named the
Graduate School of Education. Other deans have included: Edwin
A. Lee, Howard E. Wilson, and Lewis C. Solomon.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library, Department
of Special Collections University Archives Reference Desk for paging information.