Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Stevens House. Administrative files. 1949-1988.
University Archives Record Series 504  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (55.92 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Record Series 504 contains administrative files created by the Stevens House, a cooperative residence that offered affordable housing for women and minority women studying at UCLA. Materials include: correspondence; Stevens Board and student council meeting minutes; resident applications and contracts; and other textual records documenting the daily operations and activities of the house, its House Directors and residents.
Background
Stevens House was founded in 1948 and dedicated in the memory of Bishop William Bertrand Stevens, the head of the Protestant Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles from 1928 to 1947. It was an undertaking of the Intercultural Committee of the University Religious Conference at UCLA where Bishop Stevens served as President. Stevens House was a low-cost cooperative residence dormitory for UCLA undergraduate women. Its purpose was to provide housing to women and minority women attending UCLA who could not get campus housing elsewhere. It was one the first institutions in Los Angeles to practice integration in education, providing an interracial and multicultural living environment for women at UCLA.
Extent
0.8 linear ft. (2 boxes)
Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to the UCLA University Archives. All requests for permission to publish or quote from the records must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the UCLA University Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Availability
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.