Letters, financial records, property tax records, and clippings relating mainly to his career as president of the Nevada Lava
Stone Company, treasurer of the Nevada Gypsum Company, and to his livestock business, especially his partnership with W.N.
Jewett William Adams was born in Vermont in 1835. He emigrated to California in the early 1850s and moved to Nevada in the
1860s. After serving as lieutenant governor of the state for eight years, he was elected governor in 1882. When his term ended
in 1886, he served for several years as super-intendant of the mint at Carson City and then devoted the rest of his career
to his livestock and other business. He was president and a director of the Nevada Lava Stone Company which was organized
about 1895. In the late 1890s he formed a partnership with William N. McGill which became one of the largest livestock companies
in the state. In 1908 he helped organize the Nevada Gypsum Company, a corporation formed to mine the gypsum deposits near
Mound House which he had worked as the Empire Plaster Company. He was treasurer of the new company until 1912 when it was
sold to the Pacific Portland Cement Company. In 1915 he moved to San Francisco and died there in 1920.
Number of containers: 5 boxes
Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the Head of the Manuscripts Division. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The
Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research.