Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Inventory of the Dept. of Public Works. Division of Highways. District III Records
F3802  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (106.11 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Background
At its inception in 1911 District III, headquartered at Sacramento, encompassed approximately 680 miles covering the counties of: Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Sierra, Solano, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tuolumne, Yolo and Yuba. By 1924 District III covered 1,593.3 miles, and this expansion prompted a reorganization of territory. An east-west line passing through the city of Sacramento reduced the area of District III to 844.78 miles including the counties of: Butte, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Nevada, Placer, southern Plumas, the northern portions of Sacramento and Yolo Counties, Sierra, Sutter and Yuba. The balance of the former District territory formed the new District X. By 1933 Plumas County was absorbed into District II, and district headquarters moved from Sacramento to Marysville.
Restrictions
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives collections.